The green hydrogen economy offers South Africa a significant advantage in utilising its natural resources to help re-industrialise its economy, underpinned by various policies and initiatives, many of which are spearheaded by the dtic.
This webinar will discuss real developments on the ground taking place now in South Africa that take advantage of these nascent opportunities presented by the green hydrogen sector.
DATE: Friday 16 July 2021
TIME: 13h00 to 16h00 SAST (GMT+2)
COST: No cost, free-of-charge, all welcome
The webinar will showcase a metal beneficiation project that will manufacture high-tech platinum group metal-based components for fuel cells and electrolysers that underpin the green hydrogen industry.
The start of the construction process for the Isondo Precious Metals facility at the OR Tambo Special Economic Zone (SEZ) represents the first manifestation of intent in this sector.
Supported by the dtic, this will help position world-class manufacturing facilities and processes in South Africa, thereby allowing the country to beneficiate its precious metals into the required products for the global green hydrogen sector.
– Hon. Fikile Majola, Deputy Minister of Trade, Industry and Competition (the dtic), South Africa.
– Mr. Parks Tau, Member of the Executive Council (MEC) responsible for Economic Development, Provincial Government of Gauteng, South Africa.
– Prof. Katsuhiko Hirose, former Professional Partner leading fuel cell and hydrogen strategy at Toyota; Founder, CEO and Chief Consultant, HyWealth Co; Board Member, Isondo Precious Metals; Independent Consultant for several global companies, including Toyota Motor Corporation.
– Mr. Vinay Somera, Founder and CEO, Isondo Precious Metals; former Implats Group Executive: Market Development and Strategy.
– Mr. Kevin Fothergill, CEO, EnAcumen; Co-founder and Chairman, UK Hydrogen Hub; Technical Consultant to Isondo Precious Metals; former Commercial Director, Johnson Matthey Fuel Cells.
– Mr. Marius Brand, Executive Vice President, Sasol 2.0 Transformation.
– Dr. Sanjiv Malhotra, Inaugural Director of the Clean Energy Investor Centre, U.S. Department of Energy, as part of Obama Administration’s Clean Energy Investment Initiative; Founder and CEO of Sparkz; Founder and Managing Partner of the PLUS Initiative, an early-stage venture capital fund focusing on energy, mobility, sustainable cities and smart mining.
– Dr. Khotso Mokhele, Chairman of AECI; Lead Independent Director of MTN; Board Member of Isondo Precious Metals; Non-executive Director of Hans Merensky Holdings; former Chairman of the Implats Group as well as Tiger Brands, Arcelor Mittal and Adcock Ingram; former Chancellor of the University of the Free State.
13h00 – 13h05: Welcome by Mr. Chris Yelland
13h05 – 13h20: Welcome remarks by Mr. Parks Tau
13h20 – 13h40: Keynote address by Hon. Fikile Majola
13h40 – 14h00: Presentation by Prof. Katsuhiko Hirose
14h00 – 14h50: Joint presentation by Mr. Vinay Somera and Mr. Kevin Fothergill
14h50 – 14h55: Comfort break.
14h55 – 15h10: Presentation by Mr. Marius Brand
15h10 – 15h25: Presentation by Dr. Sanjiv Malhotra
15h25 – 15h50: Q & A session facilitated by Mr. Chris Yelland
15h50 – 16h00: Close by Dr. Khotso Mokhele